27 Jan Exchange 2010 SP3 Rollup 8 Install Issue
Exchange 2010 SP3 Rollup 8 install issue
This evening I ran into an issue installing Exchange server 2010 SP3 rollup update 8 on a server that previously was on sp3 rollup 5. I am not sure if anyone else has come across this, but I thought I would share my findings.
I ensured that UAC was off no AV or Backup services were started and I elevated the command prompt and received an error that didn’t tell me much. Right after the update was processing the “stopping services” I received “rolling back changes”.
Looking through event viewer I typically filter the view for errors and warnings however; this time I did not and found an information event that led me to the fix.
I received an error status of 1603 inside the event 1036 information event. I looked to see if anything was written to the exchangesetup log (c:exchangesetuplogs) and I couldn’t find any new entries.
I ran the update from an elevated command prompt with the below switches
ExchangeSP3RU8.msp /lxv c:tempRollup8UpdateLog.txt
The update began installing and the log file was written.
For more information on this refer to the support article I found when researching the error.
In hind sight
I feel the issue may have been a result of one of two things either permissions on the directory of the c:exchangesetuologs folder or that a .msp file was missing or corrupted in the windowsinstaller location. Running the command above with the switches forced creation of a log file for the rollup in an alternate location.